Hatchett Park, Swanbourne

Hatchett Park is located on the former Swanbourne Primary School site and was redeveloped as an urban infill project completed in 2007. The boutique community park is designed around the footprint of the old 1921 school and features of significance have been retained which include the original portico, steps and building foundations.

Key components of the school were selected and retained during demolition, and brick and timber was harvested and recycled throughout the park features. Interpretation plaques also celebrate water sensitive design and local people of historical and school significance.

Community consultation involved the surrounding established community, with not only a vested interest in the aesthetics of the development, but also a strong attachment to the primary school as a place they once attended.

  • Public Consultation
  • Historic research and interpretation
  • Sketch design, full documentation through to contract administration.
  • Water sensitive design
  • Cultural and heritage interpretation